Dr. Wise and Dr. Olsen organized a Legislative Roundtable for the Illinois Association of School Administrators (IASA) on Thursday December 3 in Fairbury, Illinois.
Secretary of Education Beth Purvis provided an update on the Governor’s Education Agenda and recent developments in Springfield. Also in attendance was Senator Jason Barickman, Representative Tom Bennett, and Representative Keith Sommer. These legislators and staffers from several other US and Illinois Congressional Offices, including Senator Bill Brady and US Representative Adam Kinzinger, joined over 50 Superintendents, Special Education Directors, Regional Superintendents, and District Level Administrators in discussions regarding Illinois’ successes and challenges.
Topics discussed included:
- ESEA Reauthorization – Every Child Succeed Act
- General State Aid Funding for FY 15
- Categorical Payments – Special Education, Transportation, etc….
- Relationship between EAV and GSA
- Tax Reform and Expansion of Illinois Revenue
- Evidence Based School Funding Reform
- Pension Cost Shift and Constitutionality
- Reammortization of the Pension Debt and Making Full Pension Payment
- Third Party Contracts
- Unfunded Mandates
- Flexibility in School Days and Calendar
- Kindergarten Assessment
- ACT and SAT
- Perkins Funding
- School Code Rewrite
- Student Achievement
- Early Childhood Education
- Continuity from HS to College
- And a Variety of Other Topics
Although Illinois government has its share of problems, our local Representatives and Senators have fought to be part of the solution. We appreciate our Representatives and Senators working hard to keep public education a priority in Illinois.